Selecting A Dissertation Advisor
The post describes questions that help to choose the best dissertation advisor and be successful with your work. Read through them and see what is missing from your cooperation with your dissertation advisor.
A List of Questions
- Does your advisor have revenant knowledge in the topic area? Is his or her arguments are as consistent as others?
- Did you have enough freedom in selecting a topic for your dissertation with this advisor? Were there any topics recommended?
- Did you ask other students and professor about the reputation your advisor has within the topic area?
- How much time does it take for your advisor to get back to you with comments and recommendations? Is he or she responsible enough?
- How many times did you meet with your advisor for discussion?
- Is your advisor planning to leave faculty before your degree work timeline?
- Does the advisor have many students to work with? If he or she does not have any students, why? If there are many students to advice will he or she have enough time for you?
- How much time did it take for previous year students to complete dissertations?
- How many students successfully completed their dissertations with this advisor?
- Are there publications by students that were advised by this advisor? If there are none, why?
- Did you advisor recommended to make presentations? Has he or she helped with making them?
- How friendly your advisor is with other members of the faculty? With members from other faculties and departments?
- Who was assigned with credit for previous dissertations?
- Does your advisor works during the summer?
- How ethical the behavior of the advisor is considered by other students, members of faculties and departments?
- Does your advisor have the same work habits as you?
- How much collaboration does your advisor prefer in working with students?
- Were there any students of this advisor which went to professional conferences?
- Can you find a placement record of students that worked with this advisor? What jobs did they get upon graduation from university?
- Does anyone provide funds for your advisor?
Importance of Dissertation Advisor
It is difficult to underestimate the importance of dissertation advisor. Be sure to explore these questions before you make your selection. But remember that sometimes it is not qualification that makes a difference but attitude and desire to help. Many students say that their advisor did not have enough knowledge on their topic but were a huge help which in the end produced great results.